X.Org Foundation OFFICIAL SECURITY ADVISORY 2004-09-15

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Sep 16 11:43:45 PDT 2004

On Thursday 16 September 2004 03:10, Daniel Stone wrote:
>On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 12:31:00AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

>> >http://freedesktop.org/~xorg/X11R6.8.1/src/ contains full source
>> > for 6.8.1.
>>
>> Thats the one I just got, checkinstall is trying to put it in
>> right now.  But it just puked all over itself, and /var/tmp is
>> suddenly a read-only filesystem.  Hell, I dunno if I can even send
>> this message, and the amanda run is probably fubar too.  Damn!
>> 2.6.9-rc1-mm5 has a broken filesystem everytime the machine gets
>> busy.
>
>Yeah, don't use it -- all my X and other builds were failing
>mysteriously, with short reads on the *same* *files* every time,
> even after erasing, unpacking, everything.  It's pretty messed up;
> XFS in particular seems to be hard-hit.

I've run into that, particularly when using the bz2 formatted src
files.  Sometimes a re-unpack would fix things, more often not.  So I
get the tar.gz's if there is a choice, they don't seem to suffer from
that particular foible.

>I rolled back to 2.6.8.1 and all is good.

I just redid that 200GB disk so /var has its own 15GB partition and
maybe we can catch it in the act.  I see I'm not the only one with
the problem from what I just read on lkml.  If I get thru a backup, I
had to restart amanda from square one, I may reboot to 2.6.8-1 until
the smoke clears.  Or if I don't get thru a backup, this one could be
as much as 66GB.  If it pukes, then I restart amanda from scratch
again once I'm booted to a good kernel.  I have a script I do that
with. :)

To get this back on topic, 6.8.1 seems to be running just fine here.
And once again, a tip of my hat to the coders, lots of little
niggling problems 6.7 had are gone.  I Love it(tm).

--
Cheers, gene
gheskett at wdtv dot com