X.Org Foundation OFFICIAL SECURITY ADVISORY 2004-09-15

Daniel Stone daniel at freedesktop.org
Thu Sep 16 00:10:30 PDT 2004

On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 12:31:00AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 September 2004 22:08, Daniel Stone wrote:
> >On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 10:07:34PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >> See, there ya go again.  Daniel gives us a link that doesn't
> >> exist, and you give us a link to 6.8.0, where its supposed to be
> >> known as 6.8.1.  I have a headache.
> >>
> >> Can someone please re-sort and defang this basket of rattlesnakes?
> >> :)
> >
> >http://freedesktop.org/~xorg/X11R6.8.1/src/ contains full source for
> >6.8.1.
>
> Thats the one I just got, checkinstall is trying to put it in right
> now.  But it just puked all over itself, and /var/tmp is suddenly a
> read-only filesystem.  Hell, I dunno if I can even send this message,
> and the amanda run is probably fubar too.  Damn! 2.6.9-rc1-mm5 has a
> broken filesystem everytime the machine gets busy.

Yeah, don't use it -- all my X and other builds were failing
mysteriously, with short reads on the *same* *files* every time, even
after erasing, unpacking, everything.  It's pretty messed up; XFS in
particular seems to be hard-hit.

I rolled back to 2.6.8.1 and all is good.

--
Daniel Stone                                            <daniel at freedesktop.org>
freedesktop.org: powering your desktop                http://www.freedesktop.org