[Unichrome-devel] New libXvMC wrapper.

Thomas Hellström unichrome at shipmail.org
Sun Sep 12 13:20:34 PDT 2004

Ricardo Baratto wrote:

>hi, newbie question here,
>

>>>Surely if not send bitstream over the protocol
>>>

>>This would have been nice, since it would allow decoding to take place
>>in the local X server of a
>>cheap EPIA board. Unfortunately, the protocol implementation in the X
>>server is not complete, and just implements surface and context creation
>>/ deletion and capability querying.
>>

>is it possible to do all the decoding in hw with existing cards? in other words, if the
>protocol was complete could we just send the stream directly to the remote card
>and get remote hw video decoding? or one would still need to do some of the work
>in software in the local X server?

Hi!

Yes- and no. For, example, the CLE266 can do almost all decoding in
hardware. Software overhead as low as 1-5% CPU. However, XvMC implies
that the decoding is done either on the same computer the X server
resides at (using DRI or direct rendering), or by the X server itself
(indirect rendering). The latter is impossible right now because of the
incomplete protocol, even though the XvMC standard allows it.
Accelerated indirect can, for example, be used for playing xine on a
remote computer while displaying on your local computer, which actually
does all the decoding. (Watch your neighbour's DVD)  Audio has to be
transferred also, though.

/Thomas