Xorg 6.8.0 intel i855 - dual head configuration

Kaczmarek, Thaddeus tkaczmar at Crownfin.com
Sat Sep 11 05:02:32 PDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-09-10 at 13:55, Robert Wittek wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I have installed Xorg 6.8.0 on an Acer Travelmate 290 Lci notebook.
> It is a centrino machine with an i855 graphics device. Kernel is
> 2.6.8 from gentoo.
>
> I am trying to get xinerama working, so that my desktop is displayed
> on the internal notebook display and on my external tft. For this
> purpose I use the following xorg.conf file (only relevant portions
> posted, the whole file can be found at www.wittek.org/xorg.conf).

> Section "Device"
> 	Identifier	"Intel i855 external"
> 	Driver		"i810"
> 	Option		"SWCursor"		"true"
> 	Option		"MonitorLayout"		"LFP,CRT"
> 	Option		"VBERestore"		"true"
> 	BusID		"PCI:0:2:0"
> 	Screen		0
> EndSection
> Section "Device"
> 	Identifier	"Intel i855"
> 	Driver		"i810"
> 	Option		"SWCursor"		"true"
> 	Option		"MonitorLayout"		"LFP,CRT"
> 	Option		"VBERestore"		"true"
> 	BusID		"PCI:0:2:0"
> 	Screen		1
> EndSection
> Section "Monitor"
> 	Identifier	"notebook lfp"
> 	HorizSync	30-65
> 	VertRefresh	50-75
> 	Option		"DPMS"
> EndSection
> Section "Monitor"
> 	Identifier	"Flatron L1811B"
> 	HorizSync	30-65
> 	VertRefresh	50-75
> 	Option		"DPMS"
> EndSection
> Section "Screen"
> 	Identifier	"notebook"
> 	Device		"Intel i855"
> 	Monitor		"notebook lfp"
> 	DefaultDepth	24
> 	SubSection "Display"
> 		Depth		24
> 		Modes		"1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
> 	EndSubSection
> EndSection
> Section "Screen"
> 	Identifier	"desktop"
> 	Device		"Intel i855 external"
> 	Monitor		"Flatron L1811B"
> 	DefaultDepth	24
> 	SubSection "Display"
> 		Depth		24
> 		Modes		"1280x1024" "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600"
"640x480"
> 	EndSubSection
> EndSection
> Section "ServerLayout"
> 	Identifier	"Default Layout"
> 	Screen		"desktop"
> 	Screen		"notebook" RightOf "desktop"
> 	InputDevice	"Generic Keyboard"
> 	InputDevice	"Configured Mouse"
> 	InputDevice	"Generic Mouse"
> EndSection
>
> When I try to start X with startx the following error messages
> appear:
>
> (EE) I810(0): Failed to switch to monitor configuration (0x108)
> (EE) I810(0): Please check the devices specified in your MonitorLayout
> (EE) I810(0): is configured correctly.
> (EE) I810(1): Failed to setup second head due to primary head failure.
> (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
>
> The log file can be found at www.wittek.org/xlog.
>
> The configured modes for the displays all work in single head setup.
> I have to use SWCursor or X freezes even in single head
> configurations.
>
> I tried to swap the devices in the Screen sections and changing
> "LFP,CRT" to "CRT,LFP" to no avail.
>
> Any hints on what I am doing wrong would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> Robert Wittek

I noticed this same type of issue when testing various cards we had
laying around. I could not get any 2 port cards that Xorg -scanpci
did not show separate pci id's. On one matrox G550 with the dvi output
I did get a duplicate desktop, but no clone or xinerrama to work.
I am still very much an amateur as haven't had to do any real X configs
since my Slack 3.1 days.

Also noticed when testing dual port Colorgraphics cards (cirrus), that
the motherboard would beep when X would start, these cards also seem to
be very very picky and did not like to play nice in many scenarios.
According to our pc tech we have two types, he said the one with the
black vga connector are the older ones and the ones with the blue
connector are the newer ones. Both versions would cause the motherboard
to beep when starting. Also saw this on an older board as well.

Testing of cards in the newer type AGP slots with Dell's 19 inch
flatscreen I also observed what appeared to horizontal sync type noise
when scrolling in windows in gnome.

Using Fedora Core 2, attached is lspci output of mobo I am testing with.

Ted
DISCLAIMER

confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this
e-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or
copying of this e-mail, and any attachments thereto, is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify me and
permanently delete the original and any copy of any e-mail and any printout
thereof.

E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free. The
sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in
the contents of this message which arise as a result of e-mail transmission.
REGARDING PRIVACY AND CONFIDENTIALITY
Crown Financial Group may, at its discretion, monitor and review the content
of all e-mail communications.