Vendor support (was Re: The ati petition)

Dermot McGahon dermot at dspsrv.com
Wed Sep 8 05:59:57 PDT 2004

On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 12:39:22 +0100, Alan Cox <alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>
wrote:

> Most of the original work was done by VIA, then I did a clean up and now
> its been passed on further. Ivor (ivor.it) in between fighting his
> neighbours over hedges reverse engineered the one bit they wouldnt
> provide info on (the mpeg2 slice engine).

Which was a very impressive piece of work, especially documenting
the methods employed to do it. Even more impressive now that I
know he was having hedge issues :)

What I'm missing at this point, and it looks like I'll have to do
it myself, is proper integration of these libs and drivers to the
applications (vlc, mplayer etc..)

Yes, there is VeXP, but not all players are equal. Some perform
better in certain areas than others, and xine might have the
best DVD support around, but is not at the same level for
network streaming as is vlc/vls/vlm, and to a lesser extent
mplayer.

Dermot.