Vendor support (was Re: The ati petition)

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Sun Sep 5 04:39:22 PDT 2004

On Sad, 2004-09-04 at 21:24, Lee Revell wrote:
> The VIA stuff is bleeding edge.  The DRI driver isn't in the kernel yet,
> or in Xorg CVS.  I am told the 3D support works but I have not been able
> to get it working yet

It works beautifully.

> But, all the source is there.  The code released by VIA was horrible and
> apparently machine generated,

Also untrue. The code produced by VIA for the driver was in their house
style (very windows) as you'd expect not in DRI or Linux house style.

> Most of the work is done by 2 people, the unichrome project could always
> use more developers.

Most of the original work was done by VIA, then I did a clean up and now
its been passed on further. Ivor (ivor.it) in between fighting his
neighbours over hedges reverse engineered the one bit they wouldnt
provide info on (the mpeg2 slice engine).

Alan