X performance on mini-itx boards

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Wed Sep 1 03:28:23 PDT 2004

On Maw, 2004-08-31 at 21:43, Hamie wrote:
> What sort of performance on the VIA mini-itx boards can be expected with
> XOrg? Is there hardware acceleration available for these boards? WHat
> sort of fps can you get with glxgears at default size?

The older ones are trident video and have no 3D acceleration but do
have nice 2D acceleration and are perfectly adequate. We have docs for
the 3D but nobody has been crazy enough to write a driver.

The later ones (those with DDR RAM) have VIA/S3 Unichrome video which
again is adequate for 2D. The 3D driver is still undergoing some work to
fix security concerns. Its performance is not bad - it plays bzflag,
tuxracer etc well. It struggles on modern games.