XOrg - Cards & their Performance...

Hamie hamish at travellingkiwi.com
Wed Sep 1 03:17:02 PDT 2004

Cameron wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I don't believe that glxgears itself is necessarily a meaningful
>benchmark. How about the Unreal Tournament 2004 demo? Or perhaps Enemy
>Territory. Clearly, this would only work for PC users though I still
>think we would get an excellent idea of where certain video cards stand
>under Linux and X.org in general.
>
>I recently found out how to benchmark unreal 2004 in Linux on a gentoo
>forum (ran into it through google). Mostly it requires a simple script.
>
>Both unreal tournament 2004 demo and enemy territory are free to
>download/use.
>
>Of course, we could still use glxgears additionally.

That's what I'd like to see. Several columns of data. From glxgears
(Because it's easy, comes with XOrg as standard & provides a quick but
possibly not extreemly meaningful figure) to real-world apps.

Real world apps would be good because then people know what they'll be
getting from those apps (Although again it means little to any other
app). Does x11perf measure any GL stuff? I don't see any specifics in
the short help from it. What about a glperf benchmarking tool that runs
through a few things like x11perf does...

basically the only benchmark that's worth anything is you own app. But
at the moment there appears to be nothing. And perhaps if there wsa,
we'd get more support from vendors who were keen to see their hardware
do better (After all it seems to work for the 3D-Marks etc they publish
in magazines). [Maybe we could get Linux Mag or Linux Format etc to have
a regular entry at the end of the mag like T3 etc do that lists the
fastest & most stable card etc).