DISPLAY environment setting...

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Oct 21 18:07:51 PDT 2004

Michael Frey wrote:

> Can someone explain to me a problem I am having.
>
> After I launch my X server and set my DISPLAY=:0.0  I am unable to
> launch any X programs (xterm, etc...)
>
> However when I set my DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0, I am able to launch programs
> just fine.  What would cause the DISPLAY=:0.0 not to work?  This works
> just fine for example on a Redhat box.

A $DISPLAY setting of 127.0.0.1:0 means that clients will connect to
TCP port 6000 on 127.0.0.1, whereas a setting of :0 means that they
will connect to the Unix-domain socket /tmp/.X11-unix/X0.

If the former works, but the latter doesn't, possible explanations
include the server not creating or listening on the Unix-domain
socket, or the client being unable to connect to it (e.g. due to
filesystem permissions or /tmp using a tmpfs which makes files
invisible to users other than their owner).

Also, on some OSes, transports other than Unix-domain sockets (e.g.
various types of STREAMS pipes) may be used for local displays.

Do you get any error messages from the client when trying to connect
with DISPLAY=:0.0? They may provide a clue as to why the connection
fails.