Locales for Indic languages

Jim Gettys Jim.Gettys at hp.com
Mon Oct 18 13:37:29 PDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-10-16 at 21:02 +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Sad, 2004-10-16 at 02:36, Felix Schulte wrote:
> > > I think this is irrelevant for the purposes of this bug report. All the
> > > Xlib and CTL apparatus isn't needed for Indic support when using
> > > Pango/Qt/etc.
> > This is very relevant for every application which does not use Pango
> > or Qt. Either add full support for these locales or leave it.
> > Providing crippled support is not the right way.
>
> No application that uses a standard Xorg supports these languages
> correctly, period, end of story. You need a whole new set of libraries
> regardless of whether there is locale data. Xorg should be including the
> locales since that bit is needed as an enabler for the other libaries
> and it seems daft to have Sun, Red Hat, Novell and every other vendor
> add them to the tree each release.

Such daft behavior has been observed frequently in the past...  I've
gone from a MIT license lover to something much more complex as a
result.

I encourage *all* vendors of X software who have proprietary extensions
to revisit whether keeping them proprietary is *actually* in their long
term best interest...  Now, at least, we have a vehicle to grow a new
market together (already larger than the old, dying proprietary X
market), and I strongly believe we'll all be much better off if these
decisions of 10 years ago or more get revisited and (the worthwhile)
enhancements get folded into Xorg ASAP.  We have a growing market, and
any short term advantage a company has as a result is dwarfed by the
chance to grow the overall market.

				Jim Gettys