When will xlibs be used instead of monolithic xorg? And xpm questions...

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Tue Oct 12 17:33:25 PDT 2004

On Sat, 9 Oct 2004, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> When will xlibs be used instead of monolithic xorg?
>
> I noticed that xlibs/Xpm/lib has not been updated for CAN-2004-0687
> and CAN-2004-0688 security issues. But xorg/xc/extras/Xpm/lib has been
> updated.
>
> (Also CVS history for xlibs has notes for other non-Xpm changes.)
>
> Is there any set date of when xlibs hierarchy should be maintained
> instead?
>
> I am curious, because I want to make a pkgsrc package for xlibs' libXpm
> (libtoolized) instead of using xpm-3.4k (imake and out-of-date).
>
> Is anyone planning to update xlibs/Xpm/lib? If not, I can do it. (And if
> you prefer, I'll post patch here before committing.)

I didn't receive any answers from above.

Please review this:

http://pilchuck.reedmedia.net/jeremy/tmp-cywrtu348g/Xpm.diff

Feedback would be appreciated.

(I carbon-copied Eric because he appears to have worked on xlibs/Xpm.)

> How is the number 3.5.1 chosen?
>
> Would 3.5.2 be the right number for the update for the security fixes?
>
> Also for the xorg's version I didn't notice that SOXPMREV/SharedXpmRev was
> changed. (Unless I overlooked that.) Does that matter?
>
> And why the shared library revision number differences between xorg's and
> xlib's xpm? Does that matter?

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 open source, Unix, *BSD, Linux training
	  	 	 http://www.pugetsoundtechnology.com/