When will xlibs be used instead of monolithic xorg? And xpm questions...

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Sat Oct 9 21:10:13 PDT 2004

When will xlibs be used instead of monolithic xorg?

I noticed that xlibs/Xpm/lib has not been updated for CAN-2004-0687
and CAN-2004-0688 security issues. But xorg/xc/extras/Xpm/lib has been
updated.

(Also CVS history for xlibs has notes for other non-Xpm changes.)

Is there any set date of when xlibs hierarchy should be maintained
instead?

I am curious, because I want to make a pkgsrc package for xlibs' libXpm
(libtoolized) instead of using xpm-3.4k (imake and out-of-date).

Is anyone planning to update xlibs/Xpm/lib? If not, I can do it. (And if
you prefer, I'll post patch here before committing.)

How is the number 3.5.1 chosen?

Would 3.5.2 be the right number for the update for the security fixes?

Also for the xorg's version I didn't notice that SOXPMREV/SharedXpmRev was
changed. (Unless I overlooked that.) Does that matter?

And why the shared library revision number differences between xorg's and
xlib's xpm? Does that matter?

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 open source, Unix, *BSD, Linux training
	  	 	 http://www.pugetsoundtechnology.com/