libXau shared?

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Tue Oct 12 12:21:22 PDT 2004

On Tuesday 12 October 2004 14:54, Keith Packard wrote:
> Around 18 o'clock on Oct 12, Egbert Eich wrote:
> > So far we are building libXau unshared only.
> > Is there a specific reason why libXau should
> > not be a shared lib?
>
> I strongly believe that all published libraries should be built both shared
> (with PIC) and non-shared (without PIC).  I'd also like to encourage them
> to be buildable for profiling (non-shared, without PIC).

You must not build static libraries without -fPIC.  On amd64 (and others), any
code that may find its way into a DSO must be built -fPIC.  It's perfectly
legal to include objects from an ar archive in a DSO (as a trivial example,
consider 'ld --whole-archive').

I know the Debian shared lib policy says static libs must not use -fPIC, but
the Debian policy is wrong.

- ajax