libXau shared?

Egbert Eich eich at pdx.freedesktop.org
Tue Oct 12 11:37:47 PDT 2004

Matthieu Herrb writes:
 > Egbert Eich wrote:
 > > So far we are building libXau unshared only.
 > > Is there a specific reason why libXau should
 > > not be a shared lib?
 > >
 > In the past there were some problems reported if libXau is shared,
 > caused by the fact the the X server links it too.
 > I don't remember the details, but you should be able to find them on the
 > devel at xfree86 list archives.

One could easily build the static version for linking into the Xserver.
The problem is that toolkits would like to wrap the funtionality and
therefore either have to link against a shared lib or link libXau into
their shared lib. On some platforms this requires PIC.
We can of course do the kludge we do for some other libs that we build
the static version with PIC.

 > The same argument holds for Xdmcp. In this case the obvious explanation
 > is that you can have several Xdmcp flavours, with and without Wraphelp
 > for instance and that mixing them by accident can cause trouble, and
 > that no versionning scheme can take those binaries incompatibilities
 > into account.

The Wraphelp issue has been resolved as we ship it now. However the version
installed should match what is expected. But maybe there are some subtle
problems I cannot think of right now.

Egbert.