libXau shared?

Matthieu Herrb matthieu.herrb at laas.fr
Tue Oct 12 10:27:11 PDT 2004

Egbert Eich wrote:
> So far we are building libXau unshared only.
> Is there a specific reason why libXau should
> not be a shared lib?

In the past there were some problems reported if libXau is shared,
caused by the fact the the X server links it too.
I don't remember the details, but you should be able to find them on the
devel at xfree86 list archives.

The same argument holds for Xdmcp. In this case the obvious explanation
is that you can have several Xdmcp flavours, with and without Wraphelp
for instance and that mixing them by accident can cause trouble, and
that no versionning scheme can take those binaries incompatibilities
into account.

--
Matthieu Herrb