Bug in module loading system on x86-64?

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Sat Oct 2 15:28:13 PDT 2004

On Saturday 02 October 2004 11:21, Stuart Anderson wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Oct 2004, Adam Jackson wrote:
> > To me that sounds like a strong motivation to just use dlloader instead.
>
> Do we really need any more excuses? It seems that people have already
> made up their mind wether or not they have understood the implmentation
> of either of the choices.

I'm not sure how to parse this, there seems to be some emotion behind it but I
can't decipher it.

I spent a fair bit of effort getting the drivers to work under dlloader while
preserving elfloader semantics.  My thinking there was to show that dlloader
can work equally well while requiring less code and maintenance, even without
converting the modules to be proper DSOs.  This effort doesn't seem to have
accomplished much.  To my knowledge no OS that uses the module loader uses
dlloader by default in 6.8, though gentoo and freebsd have said they want to
use it by default.

It has certainly made my life easier while debugging the server, and I would
hope the same is true for other developers; that, in itself, almost makes it
worthwhile.  However, if the users still use elfloader, then I've not really
accomplished my goal.  If there's some showstopper [1] that's preventing
people from dropping elfloader, then I want to hear it and address it;
otherwise I'm just wasting my time.

- ajax

[1] - I know of one such potential showstopper, but I need another OS to test
for it and I lack for hardware.  Anyone happen to know whether non-Linux
systems use something besides ELFOSABI_SYSV for their ABI identifier, and if
so, if it actually matters?  There's an ELFOSABI_LINUX #define, but Linux's
libdl will reject it, so clearly it doesn't get used.  I've tried and failed
to figure out where *BSD's libdl source is, but that still wouldn't tell me
what Solaris expects.