Old rage based card has poor damage control recovery.

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Oct 1 19:28:22 PDT 2004

Greetings;

I have an old 233 mhz P2 in the woodshop running FC2 and its yum style
up2date as of yesterday.

It runs ok for an old klunk, but if inactive long enough for the blank
screen blanker to kick in, then the recovery is horrible, the only
thing redrawn when the mouse is moved to wake it up is the outside
border and the mouse as it moves.  You have to see if you can find
the mouse, move it to the bottom of the screen and wipe it back and
forth enough to find the pager, then switch screens, which switches
backgrounds before it will redraw a useable screen.

The video card in it is a rage based card, but only has 4 megs of ram.
Is this fixable, or am I out another 80 bucks for another xtacy
9200SE radeon?  Anything else seems to be well over 100 bucks
locally.  As in Yeeeouch!  The most active game it might play is sol.

Oh, and its running gnome.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)