Radeon 9200 hangs: How to debug?

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Fri Nov 12 08:51:54 PST 2004

Randall Nortman wrote:

> > > So much for the debugger.  I suppose if I compile in debugging symbols
> > > I could get more, but I haven't gotten that far yet.
> >
> > You may also consider building with
> >
> > #define MakeDllModules YES
> >
> > or you need a debugger that understands XFree86 modules or a non-modular
> > server.
>
> You'll have to forgive my complete ignorance of all this -- I've been
> using XF86 for years, and now X.org for months, but it's always just
> worked for me in the past (once I got through the always painful
> process of getting the resolution and refresh rate right), so I never
> bothered with internals.  Given that I'm running Gentoo (and therefore
> Gentoo is building X and gdb for me), which of these options is
> best/easiet?  I suspect, actually, that I'll need to build one or the
> other from tarball, outside of Gentoo's control, in order to have
> enough control, no?

Gentoo's xorg-x11 ebuild understands the USE flag "dlloader", which
enables this option:

x11-base/xorg-x11:dlloader - USE WITH CARE: Enable dynamic module loader (results in many unresolved symbols)

The most relevant portion of the ebuild file is:

	if use dlloader; then
		einfo "Setting DoLoadableServer/MakeDllModules to YES."
		echo "#define DoLoadableServer  YES" >> ${HOSTCONF}
		echo "#define MakeDllModules    YES" >> ${HOSTCONF}
		if use hardened; then
			echo "#define HardenedGccSpecs YES" >> ${HOSTCONF}
		fi
	fi

However, there appear to be other issues; search for "dlloader" in the
ebuild file for the specifics.

> (For example, where does that MakeDLLModules definition go?  Can that
> be an option to configure, or do I manually edit some header after I
> run configure?)

The X build system doesn't use a configure script. Configuration is
performed by creating a host.def file.