xlibs: Moving forward

Daniel Stone daniel at freedesktop.org
Fri Nov 5 09:46:40 PST 2004

Hi all,
Unfortunately, since some time before X11R6.8, the modular tree has been
getting very little love.  By 'very little', I do, of course, mean
'none'.

I was working on a set of modular packages for my distribution, but the
choice was made to run with a monolithic tree instead, thus my work on
it (which you may have noticed on xlibs-commit) halted for a while,
while I worked flat out on monolithic packages.

Now I have some small amounts of time again (in between more packaging,
trying to get our patch system into order, and trying to see some of
Køenhavn while I'm here), I'm revisiting xlibs.

My goal is to release versions of every single module as soon as
possible -- yes, pre-merge.  Right now, most of them are in quite good
shape, and it should be one hundred per cent fully bootstrappable from
scratch.  I'm getting back on this, as I said, and hope to commit my
local changes to all the modules within the next few days.  As I make
new versions, I'm uploading to
http://freedesktop.org/~xlibs/xlibs-1.0.1/proposed-tarballs/ -- on the
understanding that these are PROPOSED tarballs and bear no claim to
reflections on reality.

After 1.0.1 is out the door in its pre-merge state, I propose a full
merger between the monolithic and modular trees, code-wise (more on that
soon -- watch this space!), and we then get modular 1.1.0 out the door.
After that, we can start using the modular system to its full extent,
and start working separately on individual libraries, with their own
release schedules.

The only modules I'm aware of that aren't imported at all thus far are
Xevie and Xdmx.

Comments/suggestions/beer?
-d

--