Security question?

Jim Gettys Jim.Gettys at hp.com
Wed Nov 3 19:11:35 PST 2004

> It would be interesting to see if the results in this paper can be improved
> upon by using linux futexes rather than the Unix socket for synchronization.
> The implementation referred to in this paper is still available on a branch
> of the DRI xc tree, if anyone feels like some archaeology.

Not to mention the fact that Unix domain sockets on Linux are really,
*really* fast; performance data of that age is in general suspect; it is
several major releases old (at least).  And Futexes are indeed a new
very interesting possibility.

In short, some serious investigation given the new facilities on current
releases are in order.  But then again, much of the system performance
work on X is now *very* stale in general; we have better facilities
than select/poll these days as well (and a typical X server now
has many more connections open; 25 as I compose this message).

Some serious performance work is in order, and not just the
"x11perf" flavor micro optimization work either.
			- Jim