Debugging X.org drivers?

Kendall Bennett KendallB at scitechsoft.com
Wed Nov 3 16:53:23 PST 2004

I wrote:

> Adam Jackson <ajax at nwnk.net> wrote:
>
> > On Friday 29 October 2004 20:57, Jim Gettys wrote:
> > > X11R6.8 has the ability to load .so files as well as the XFree86 loader,
> > > and therefore is able to be debugged using a standard GDB.
> > >
> > > I don't know the exact details; IIRC Adam Jackson (ajax) did the work...
> > >     - Jim
> >
> > Yep, that was me.  Feel free to drop me a line if you have any
> > trouble making dlloader modules work.
>
> Sweet, it works perfectly! I nuked the /usr/X11R16/lib directory first
> and it seems to be fine.

Well the server runs just fine, but unfortunately I can't do any
debugging! When I start GDB on the X server (gdb X), when I run the
server gdb crashes with an internal error. I get the same error if I run
the installed version of X or if I run the debug build that I have built.

What platforms and versions of gdb are you guys testing and developing
with? I am using Fedora Core 2 on my test machine, and I just upgraded to
all the latest patches and updates (crashed the same before and after).

Regards,

---
Kendall Bennett
Chief Executive Officer
SciTech Software, Inc.
Phone: (530) 894 8400
http://www.scitechsoft.com

~ SciTech SNAP - The future of device driver technology! ~