[Xorg] Supported Hardware Question

Daniel Stone daniel at freedesktop.org
Sun May 30 23:42:49 PDT 2004

On Mon, May 31, 2004 at 01:38:50AM -0500, Joseph D. Wagner wrote:
> > Indeed, the only one of Debian's architectures
> > that does not run an X server is S/390, and that
> > for obvious reasons (it has no video output).
>
> That's just it.  We have one of those too (but we're using it for the database and not even considering it as a terminal server).  It's my understanding that Xserver just sends commands, like DrawWindow (oversimplified example), to the X client and the X client has to do the device dependent work of actually drawing pixels based upon those commands.
>
> Is my understanding correct, or am I way off?  If my understanding is correct, shouldn't you be able to run Xserver on S/390?
>
> Keep in mind that I'm the new guy.  I was hired just as this project was starting.  I probably don't know as much about this topic as I should.

You have things in the exact reverse: an X client (application: e.g.
xterm), sends these requests to the X server (e.g. the XFree86 server,
Cygwin), which takes care of actually displaying stuff.

So, you can run X apps on almost any platform, as long as the server
they display to is on a supported platform; you can still run stuff like
Evolution on an S/390, provided it displays to a PC or something.

:) d

--
Daniel Stone                                            <daniel at freedesktop.org>
freedesktop.org: powering your desktop                http://www.freedesktop.org