[Xorg] Supported Hardware Question

Joseph D. Wagner theman at josephdwagner.info
Sun May 30 23:38:50 PDT 2004

> Indeed, the only one of Debian's architectures
> that does not run an X server is S/390, and that
> for obvious reasons (it has no video output).

That's just it.  We have one of those too (but we're using it for the database and not even considering it as a terminal server).  It's my understanding that Xserver just sends commands, like DrawWindow (oversimplified example), to the X client and the X client has to do the device dependent work of actually drawing pixels based upon those commands.

Is my understanding correct, or am I way off?  If my understanding is correct, shouldn't you be able to run Xserver on S/390?

Keep in mind that I'm the new guy.  I was hired just as this project was starting.  I probably don't know as much about this topic as I should.

Thanks for all your help.

Joseph D. Wagner