[Xorg] Re: xserver input

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at yahoo.com
Sun May 30 07:58:06 PDT 2004

--- Keith Packard <keithp at keithp.com> wrote:
> Ideally, there would be real kernel support for this so that the X server
> wouldn't have to cooperate (as it does today for mice and other
> non-keyboard input devices).

I don't think you ever get really kernel support for this. The VT interface is
single user, the event interface is multi -user. Since VTs don't know about
multi-user if they tried to reassign event interfaces at VT swap they'd get it
wrong.

I think I have Alan Cox convinced now to consider redesigning VT support to work
in user space. This will allow multi-user VT systems. It is a topic for OLS.

=====
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at yahoo.com