[Xorg] Redrawing problems with xorg and IGP340M

Matthew East matthew.east at iue.it
Tue May 25 04:34:19 PDT 2004

Hello,

I am having some extremely irritating problems. I will try to describe
them. When I open a gnome terminal in full screen and scroll down
slowly, many of the characters are obscured. Often when using
openoffice.org writer lines and shapes remain on the screen longer than
they should, and I have to scroll up and down the page to get rid of
them. When dragging a box across the gnome desktop with my mouse the
mouse pointer arrives much faster than the shaded box.

I have tried everything I can think of to resolve this problem. I have
enabled DRI for my graphics card, which xorg does not support, by
recompiling some of the modules from XFree86 and installing the latest
radeon kernel driver, but although this worked, it has not solved my
problem. Here are the details of my system:

Compaq Laptop Presario 2104EA
ATI Radeon 340M onboard graphics card (64MB ram)
191MB RAM
Celeron Processor

Fedora Core 2
2.6.5 kernel

Gnome
Xorg "X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.7"

I've put my xorg.config and Xorg.0.log online here:
http://www.iue.it/Personal/Researchers/East/xorg.conf
and http://www.iue.it/Personal/Researchers/East/Xorg.0.log. And I have
put a screenshot of an example of the problem here:
http://www.iue.it/Personal/Researchers/East/screenshot.png.

If anyone can help me I would REALLY appreciate it.

Thanks a million, yours, Matt