[Xorg] Reorganizing the xc/include directory

Egbert Eich eich at suse.de
Mon May 17 10:32:21 PDT 2004

Keith Packard writes:

 > Around 16 o'clock on May 17, Egbert Eich wrote:
 >
 > > Shall we start a branch on CVS so we can work on this together?
 > > I'd be willing to help on this.
 >
 > Sure. Got any idea what name we should use?  modular_include?

Too long. I don't care. Think of something short.
We should use (reuse) the branch for all the modularization work.
Therefore you don't have to add 'include'.

 > We won't be able to use regular CVS commands to actually move the files as
 > I'd like to preserve CVS history for them.

Hmm. If you move around files in the repository you will never be able
to checkout the previous state.
The best thing you can do is to add a note to the first commit at the
new location telling where the file came from. If you have a well defined
format for this you can even set up a script (cvs wrapper?) that digs
up the original file.

 > I suggest that we copy the ,v files into the new location in the
 > repository.  We can then cvs rm the existing files so that old branches
 > will still build (but will end up with copies of the files in both places).

Yes, I thought of this also but it may be extremely awkward. You will
never be able to restore an older version the way it was.

Let me play a little and see what would be a sane thing to do.

Egbert.