[Xorg] Project Looking Glass developer release source code is now available

Deron Johnson Deron.Johnson at Sun.COM
Tue Jun 29 12:03:09 PDT 2004

Sun opened the source code for the developer's release of Project
Looking Glass today. It is available on http://java.net in the lg3d
project. There are three subprojects:

	lg3d-core		The 3D related software
	lg3d-demo-apps		Example 3D applications
	lg3d-x11		Modified X11 release

The people on this mailing list will probably be most interested in the
lg3d-x11 project. We opened this project on lg3d-x11 for the sake
of expediency, but we intend to eventually transfer it over into
freedesktop.org.

The lg3d-x11 project is still very much a work in progress.
To date, only a few X11 applications run bug-free. But we decided
to release now in order to bootstrap 3D application development.
There is still a lot of X11 debugging work left to do. Important
applications such as mozilla, staroffice, evolution, realplayer, and
most GNOME applications still have significant problems. We are actively
addressing these problems. Please file issues to
issues at lg3d-core.dev.java.net.

Special thanks to Keith Packard of HP for his excellent extensions:
Damage, Xfixes, and Composite. Although they were originally developed
with 2D in mind, they are exactly what is needed to make a 3D window
system based on X11. Without Keith's excellent work we could not have
been able to release Project Looking Glass so soon. Also, I would like
to offer my thanks to Sun's X team, especially Jay Cotton, Stuart
Kreitman, and Alan Coopersmith, for their invaluable assistance.

I would like to invite all X developers to check out the code and
to get involved in making Linux the premier platform for 3D
window system development.

	-Deron Johnson
	Project Looking Glass
	deron.johnson at sun.com