[Xorg] Using Plasma TVs with X

Mark Cuss mcuss at cdlsystems.com
Tue Jun 22 10:21:40 PDT 2004

Hi All

If I'm posting to the wrong spot then please forgive me - I'm a little out
of the loop with regards to the changes in X over the past few months....

I'm wondering if I can hook a plasma TV to a DVI video card (ATI, nVidia)
and run the display through X.  I've done some looking and the fancy plasma
displays seem to support a 1280x768 resolution.  They also have what they
call an HDMI digital interface, which according to a picture I saw on
Pioneer's web site, looks like it can take two physical forms, one of them
being a DVI looking connector.

So, I'd like to be able to hook one of these displays to my machine and run
it at 1280x768.  Does anyone have any tips or experience with doing this?
The Plasma TV is a pretty expensive item for a "buy and try" so I'd like to
get some opinions from the experts.

Thanks in advance!

Mark

Mark Cuss, B. Sc.