[Xorg] Local Multi Users

Svetoslav Slavtchev svetljo at gmx.de
Tue Jun 22 02:37:59 PDT 2004

Hi all

Dear Alexandre,

i'm not a X guy, but IMHO there is no such big
difference between X.org and XFree86 in this matter
so if it works with XFree86 it will work with Xorg too

you may want to try the implementation by the linuxconsole project
http://linuxconsole.sourceforge.net

some more pointers & documentation

* initial working implementation based on backport
  to linux-2.4 and a lot of documentation
  The Backstreet Ruby home page http://startx.times.lv/

* my howto XFree-Local-multi-user-HOWTO
  http://tldp.org/HOWTO/XFree-Local-multi-user-HOWTO/index.html

* shorter step by step guide by Jean-Daniel Pauget
  http://disjunkt.com/dualhead/

this setup is working for a lot of people
with upto 4 users sofar

if you decide to try it, please keep the
linuxconsole ml posted

and :D

dear Xorg developers,
would it be possible for you to
include the attached patch in Xorg,
so users that want to try multiuser setups
don't need to patch it themselfs
this patch doesn't change X's behaviour when
the new options are not specified
and is currently included in
Debian's XFree86 & Mandrake's Xorg packages
and there are no (related) bug reports

best,

svetljo

PS.
please CC me (and the linuxconsole ml)
as me(we) are not subscribed to the list

PS.2
now subscribed as the ml doesn't allow
posting from unsubcribed users :(