[Xorg] Switching from dual to singlehead and technical documentation

Philip Van Hoof spamfrommailing at freax.org
Wed Jun 9 14:37:18 PDT 2004

Hi there,

For many typical presentation purposes, it would be very useful to have
a tool to enable and disable dual-head (and xinerama) configs on the
fly.

I often find myself in a situation where I want to enable or disable the
dual-head setting of my x-server while not being 'okay' with the fact
that this means restarting all my desktop applications (because, of
course, they will stop with the restarting of my xserver).

As a developer I am willingness to help if somebody is putting efforts
in getting this supported or writing tools that enable people to do
this. I don't have enough experience with the huge code of Xorg or
whatever component that would be responsible for this to start
developing this on my very own. It would take me days just to know where
to start. That's not very productive of course.

That brings me to another proposal:

To start writing technical documentation about the Xorg implementation.
Much like the "Inside the Linux kernel"-book published by O'Reilly. IMHO
such documentation would have got people like me -who are frustrated
enough about such issues that they want to learn how to fix it- going.

My real humble opinion on this is that an organisation (like
freedesktop.org or like the Linux Documentation Project) should start
creating high level technical documentation about the important pieces
of our opensource operating system/environment (being Mozilla, the Xorg
xserver stuff, GNOME and GTK+, KDE and Qt, softwares like Evolution and
OpenOffice.org and of course the kernel -which has already pretty much
sources of high level technical documentation, even a kernelnewbies
website and IRC Channel-).

Again I am willingness to help and again I don't have enough experience
to start doing this all by myself. It's probably because I don't have
that experience with these components, that I am greedy for such
documentation (hence my reason for asking). I do want to help all these
exciting projects, and I probably am talented enough to help. I just
don't want to loose the rest of my life reading through huge
repositories of code.

--
Philip Van Hoof, Software Developer @ Cronos
home: me at freax dot org