[Xorg] Dynamic mouse accelaration

Peter Postmus p.postmus at st.hanze.nl
Sun Jun 6 05:19:26 PDT 2004

Hi,

One thing that kind of bothers me is the implementation of mouse
accelaration in both the XFree86 and X.org servers. If the mouse is
moved fast enough (beyond a threshold), the pointer on the screen is
moved faster. Although both the threshold and the accelartion factor are
configurable, it still feels a bit unnatural to me. Especially when
compared to MS Windows' mouse behavior.

Therefore, I would love to see dynamic mouse accelaration in in the
X.org x-server, setting the accelaration factor depending on the speed
at which the mouse is moved. The user could then control the amount of
accelaration that is added, independent of the speed at which the mouse
is actually moved. For example, if the accelaration factor for a given
speed of mouse movement is normally 2, and the user wants less
accelaration, he could set it so that the accelaration factor would be
decreased to, say, 1.5. Accelaration at other speeds would be affected
as well. For example, if accelaration at a higher mouse movement speed
is normally 4, it would be decreased to 3 in this case. So the user no
longer controls the absolute amount of accelaration, but instead the
relative accelaration. The threshold would still be possible to control,
functioning as a point after which accelaration is applied (as it is
now). In short, the user could say: "from this point on, start
accelarating the mouse by the relative amount I have entered".

Unfortunately, I don't have enough knowledge of the X.org architecture
to implement this and test the mouse "feel". And I don't know if this
functionality is allready included in any development version.

What do you think?

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,
With kind regards,