[Xorg] xserver cannot establish listening sockets

Franco Catrin L. fcatrin at tuxpan.cl
Wed Jun 2 07:06:24 PDT 2004

El mié, 02-06-2004 a las 03:49, Athanasios Douitsis escribió:
> Hello all,
>
> I compiled the fdo xserver from cvs but when I try
> to do something like
>
> Xvesa :1
>
> it says that it cannot establish the listening sockets
> and that I should check whether there is an X server
> already running. Needless to say, there isn't :-)
> This behaviour concerns the fdo xserver pulled from
> last weeks cvs, older versions work out fine.
>
> Does anybody has any idea about this?

you should use XTRANS-0_1-RELEASE branch of xtrans

> BTW, I was wondering, will the fdo xserver eventualy become
> a replacement for x.org, or will the damage and composite
> extensions be incorporated in x.org and continue from there?

xserver is supposed to be used for experiment on new extensions, but you
can use it if you have supported hardware.  Anyway, xserver/VESA works a
lot better than the xorg/nvidia  when using xcompmgr running traditional
2D applications.  That's because there is less redrawing done by
applications thanks to the composite and damage extensions.
If you need to run xv or 3d applications then it's a complete different
story

I know that there are some work in both directions, there are people
working on the implementation of the new extensions for xorg, and there
are people moving the xorg DDX to fd.o xserver

--
Franco Catrin L. TUXPAN
http://www.tuxpan.com/fcatrin