[Xorg] CVS HEAD -- ftfuncs.c:931: error: structure has no membernamed `find_sbit_image'

Eric Anholt eta at lclark.edu
Thu Jul 29 20:49:37 PDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-29 at 20:27, Roland Mainz wrote:

> > > That will _BREAK_ XTT like it happened in the last release. This should
> > > not happen again. Please link libFreeType2 statically if the platform
> > > really does not have Freetype2 >= 2.1.8 and cannot use the copy in the
> > > xc/-tree...
> >
> > OK, I assumed from that changelog that an optimization was simply
> > removed by accident with all of the changes that had been going on in
> > freetype areas.
>
> That wasn't an accident. Initially it was removed because the XTT code
> was using a "private" Freetype2 API - but the side-effects were that
> drastic that the FreeType2 library got an extra "public" API to get the
> functionality back.
>
> > Is there really no way to do this with older FreeType?
>
> AFAIK not without causing trouble for CJKV users. Even Xfree86 has
> updated it's FreeType2 copy in CVS to FreeType 2.1.8 to ensure the XTT
> code works properly (using the new "public" API which was extra added
> for that purpose) - and AFAIK that indicates the importance of the
> issue...

"_BREAK_" implied something besides "things slow down (a lot)," so I
thought I had misunderstood.  "Things slow down (a lot) for some fonts
when used as core fonts" is *far* better than "The build fails for
almost all of our users."  Simply saying, "Use 2.1.8 if you want fast
CJKV core fonts" seems pretty simple to me.

Eric Anholt                                eta at lclark.edu
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/         anholt at FreeBSD.org