[Xorg] new comitter

Bryce Harrington bryce at osdl.org
Sun Jul 25 17:30:03 PDT 2004

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004, Eric Anholt wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-07-25 at 16:33, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> > On Sun, 25 Jul 2004, Eric Anholt wrote:
> > > Mostly we're missing build machines.
> >
> > Do the scripts generate output that we could provide for inclusion in
> > this tinderbox?  If so, we have some systems at OSDL that we could
> > probably run them on.  If you can point me at the scripts, I'll look
> > into it.
>
> There are instructions at:
> http://www.freedesktop.org/Software/TinderboxWiki
>
> Thanks!  Feedback is very welcome, too.

Ahh, interesting, yes this looks doable.  What we have is an automated
system that manages a bunch of client machines, compiling/installing
stuff on them and running tests, wiping and re-installing between runs.
It sounds like doing a tinderbox run would be directly analogous to what
we're already doing.

However, is our environment "interesting" enough to be worth setting up
in this way?  Basically, we've got ia32 systems with 1, 2, 4, and 8 cpu,
can install redhat 7.1 or 9.0 or suse 9.0, and pretty much any version
of the linux kernel (including all the major branches).  Does this
environment sound like it would provide sufficient additional coverage?
Are there easy ways we could tweak it to provide more coverage (like
installing alternatives of particular libs/tools or other distros).

> > > Another would be to collect a set of appropriate tests (xtest suite,
> > > rendercheck?) to be run under Xvfb to test that DIX remains sane.
> >
> > Are these tests packaged separately or are they part of the X package?
> > Do the packages contain the docs for them?
>
> They aren't part of the monolithic build.  I think xtest can be checked
> out from the "xtest" module of xorg cvs instead of xc.  I've never used
> it myself, though.  rendercheck is in xapps CVS
> (:pserver:anoncvs at pdx.freedesktop:/cvs/xapps co rendercheck).  It's
> pretty new and lacks documentation, but it might be doable to check its
> output using scripts anyway, though.

Okay, thanks, I'll peek into these.

> > > The tinderbox3 system has a lot of rough edges in terms
> > > of general interface and configuration that could use polishing, too.
> >
> > For the kernel tinderbox (http://tinderbox.osdl.org/) we added a
> > legend.
>
> That legend does look much nicer than our interface.  I was speaking
> more to the administrator's interface, though, which I've been confused
> by several times (sherriff/edit differentiation, broken logins,
> mozilla-related defaults, I can't remember what else).

I spoke with Cliff; looks like he's going to be gone for a good while
(caring for family).  If there are urgent issues with Tinderbox to get
it ready for use in doing the August release, I can be available to
help.  Otherwise I'll focus on seeing if we can scare up some more build
client resources.

Bryce