[Xorg] Xinerama problem with a Matrox G450 and a Radeon 9200SE

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 08:00:06 PDT 2004

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 18:24:16 +0100, Andrew Clayton
<andrew at digital-domain.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been running an AGP Matrox G450 with two monitors in xinerama mode
> for a couple of years.
>
> In preparation to adding a third monitor to the xinerama mix, I added a
> PCI Radeon 9200SE.
>
> Before adding the third monitor I tried using xinerama across the two
> cards (1 monitor connected to both cards). It's proving to be quite
> tricky... but I think I'm close.
>
> Eventually I would like to two end up with two monitors on the G450 and
> one monitor on the 9200SE.
>
> The current problem I'm having is that, when the G450 monitor is set as
> screen 0 and the 9200SE monitor is set as Screen 1 in xorg.conf
> (attached), the G450 one comes up but not the 9200SE and xinerama seems
> to have been disabled. If I change the Screen 1 and 0 around in
> xorg.conf, the 9200SE comes up but not the G450.
>
> I've attached an xorg.conf and corresponding Xorg.0.log where the 9200SE
> doesn't come up. It says that Screen 1 was deleted because there was no
> config found, but I can't see whats missing.

The "screen 0" and "screen 1" lines in your device sections are only
used for multi-head cards.  what you want is something like this:

Section "Device"
	Identifier  "G450"
        Driver      "mga"
        BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
	Option      "AGPMode" "2"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"9200SE"
	Driver		"radeon"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier "XFree86 Configured"
	Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
 	Screen      1   "Screen 1" RightOf "Screen 0"
	InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

when you add the second g450 head into the mix add this:

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "G450-1"
        Driver      "mga"
	BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
	Option      "AGPMode" "2"
	Screen	1
EndSection

As well as a third "screen" section, eg:

Section "Screen"
	Identifier "Screen 2"
	Device "G450-1"
	Monitor "monitor3"
	DefaultDepth 16
	Subsection "Display"
		Depth 16
		Modes "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
	EndSubSection
EndSection

then update your layout, eg:

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier "XFree86 Configured"
	Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
 	Screen      1  "Screen 1" RightOf "Screen 0"
 	Screen      2  "Screen 2" RightOf "Screen 1"
	InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Alex