[Xorg] Implementing "Xv" extension on DDX which don'tsupportitin hardware...

Egbert Eich eich at pdx.freedesktop.org
Mon Jul 19 01:36:14 PDT 2004

Thomas Winischhofer writes:
 > Keith Packard wrote:
 > > Around 20 o'clock on Jul 12, Roland Mainz wrote:
 > >

 > >>No, I mean: Which "side" paints the color key ? The Xv implementation in
 > >>the Xserver or the X client ?
 > >

 > > Typically, the X server paints the key.  The client can ask that it be
 > > allowed to paint the key if it wants, but I've never seen any app do that.
 >
 > Xine does it that way. It disables automatic painting of the colorkey
 > (if supported by the respective driver) and paints the colorkey itself.
 > Point being subtitles which can more easily be done by "skipping" pixels
 > in the colorkey.

A few drivers allow to disable autopainting by setting an XV
attribute. Which is only an optional cludge. In any case the
default behavior is to do the autopainting in the driver.

In fact a color key is a hardware dependent feature. Exposing
it to the client may proof to be short sighted. It would probably
make more sense to allow the client to pass information on
'undisplayable' areas as a bitmap and let the driver deal with
this.

Egbert.