[Xorg] Server side widgets

Ely Levy elylevy-xserver at cs.huji.ac.il
Sun Jul 11 18:43:57 PDT 2004

> Ely Levy wrote:
> [snip]
> > Well, then having extandble widget set is the answer,
> > most applications uses widgets from a tool kit like motif gnome kde and
> > the like anyhow, and those who doesn't can either use client side widgets
> > or upload their widget to the server.
> > The exact way should probebly be thought of to find an efficient solution
> > but it doesn't sound impossible.
> > Ofcourse if someone is going to implemant it you need to find a good
> > flexible way to make programer life easier.
> > something like XUL or c# or that weird ps language someone mentioned
> > before:)
>
> Using XUL is a BAD idea. We would have to import half of Mozilla's
> codebase into the X.org tree just to get that working. Hint: The Mozilla
> code base is AFAIK larger than the whole X.org tree. It sounds like
> hunting chicken with a Leopard-II tank...

I'm not sure about that,
There might be a way to do it without using too much of mozilla code.
or even doing our own renderer.
I heard about a mozilla project which suppose to be a XUL based
replacement to XAML, which might be intresting for this discussion.
but again I was just brining up ideas, if someone knows a better langauge
I'll be happy to hear:)

Ely