[Xorg] Re: X on OpenGL

Andy Sy andy at nospam.com
Sat Jul 10 20:45:06 PDT 2004

Keith Packard wrote:

> X has been implemented on many systems without direct pixel access; as
> long as the system provides the basic pixel manipulations necessary for
> the core (and Render) protocols, we're all set.  And, as ajax says, we can
> always use glReadPixels

Quartz Extreme, it turns out, uses OpenGL extensively.  Depending
on how exactly Quarz Extreme uses it (am reading
http://www.udnimweb.de/Texte/sg2002bof_apple.pdf right now), I
guess that would vindicate the window manager on top of OpenGL
approach to some degree.

I certainly would have to defer to the judgement of those who are
more familiar with the API and the its implementation efficiency on
different cards, but considering how ironic the fact that it is an
API which was expressly developed to rely on an external 2D window
manager and is now being used to implement one itself, I believe
many would need more convincing as to its appropriateness.

--
reply to: a n d y @ n e t f x p h . c o m