[Xorg] The big multiconsole nasty

Egbert Eich eich at pdx.freedesktop.org
Wed Jul 7 06:14:55 PDT 2004

John Dennis writes:
 > On Tue, 2004-07-06 at 07:45, Egbert Eich wrote:
 > > When you are talking about kernel partition you tie yourself to a single
 > > OS - not necessarily a single architecture. This is what worries me a little
 > > bit.
 >
 > What worries me and seems to be a design philosophy embedded in XFree86
 > is that in an attempt to be OS agnostic it implicitly declared itself
 > superior to the OS and attempted to supersede the OS. From my
 > perspective this is a fundamentally flawed model that ignores what we've
 > learned about the need to partition and layer responsibility in large
 > scale computer systems.

John,

What you call a 'fundamentally flawed model' in your effords to bash
XFree86 and the people who contributed to it was a necessity at the
time the code was implemented.
At that time there was no kernel (neither Linux nor any other open
source kernel) that would offer the functionality that we required.

Egbert.