[Xorg] The big multiconsole nasty

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Tue Jul 6 17:36:30 PDT 2004

Around 1 o'clock on Jul 7, Michel =?ISO-8859-1?Q?D=E4nzer?= wrote:

> I basically agree, let's not pretend a root daemon is all that much
> better though. Either will probably be better in some aspects, worse in
> others.

I concur with this sentiment -- any code directly manipulating the device
registers runs a reasonable risk of corrupting the machine state.  This
makes the X server or this proposed daemon equal in many ways to the
kernel.

One thing I'd like to see is a general reduction of code that runs in the
same address space as the 'scary' bits.  Starting with the device
initialization and mode selection logic makes good sense as none of that is
particularily performance sensitive.  This should give us significant
freedom of choice in implementation.

The remaining 'scary' code is largely the accelerated rendering bits; DRI
shows one solution to that problem, albiet with a significant kernel
component.

-keith