[Xorg] The big multiconsole nasty

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Tue Jul 6 16:49:39 PDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-06 at 12:22 +0200, Thomas Winischhofer wrote:

>  From my experience, getting gfx stuff into the linux kernel sometimes
> means smuggling it in behind Linus' back. An agony of its own kind if
> one knows Linus' attitude to fbdev drivers and graphics stuff in the
> kernel in general.

Actually, my impression has been that his opinion on this has been
changing; for one, he must be using fbcon on his G5. :) He was also
fairly active on the dri-devel list for a while.

> My very humble $.02 as one who's been in X driver development and user
> support for a mere 4 years: Forcing people to change and reconfigure
> their kernel just to run the "current gui" is something I really can't
> imagine being a much appreciated idea. And the "gui" shouldn't really be
> able to take down the entire machine in case of a bug. Welcome to the
> world of Windows (and debugging hell, besides).

I basically agree, let's not pretend a root daemon is all that much
better though. Either will probably be better in some aspects, worse in
others.