[Xorg] What is this fbdev I keep seeing mentioned?

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 21:12:09 PDT 2004

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 22:04:15 -0400, Gene Heskett
<gene.heskett at verizon.net> wrote:
> See subject.  Is this part of the x.org release?
>
> I cannot find such a frame buffer device in the kernel .config for
> 2.6.7-mm6, nor any of the earlier 2.6.7-ish kernels I have here.

fbdev refers to the linux framebuffer device.  Kernel framebuffer
devices are chipset drivers that live in kernel space rather than user
space like Xorg drivers.  Some Xorg drivers support a special mode
where the kernel framebuffer handles the mode setting and the Xorg
driver handles everything else. there's also a fbdev Xorg driver that
runs ontop of a kernel framebuffer driver.  kernel framebuffer drivers
are either generic like vesa or vga, or chipset specific like mga or
radeon.

> Could this be the reason my fresh nvidia 6106 install is stumbling
> along at 75fps for glxgears?

The nvidia drivers may sync to the monitor refresh rate since that is
the default for OpenGL.  There's probably an option somewhere to turn
off sync to refresh.