[Xorg] getconfig.pl

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Sun Jul 4 22:55:24 PDT 2004

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 14:12:36 +0200, Egbert Eich <eich at pdx.freedesktop.org> wrote:

> Erik Harrison writes:
>  > I was frustrated the other day by my seeming inability to learn C. As
>  > I actually speak Perl and was hoping for some distraction, is started
>  > to poke around in getconfig.pl.
>  >
>  > getconfig has a small list of PCI ID to driver mappings inside the
>  > program itself. Considering that we install a default xorg.cfg file,
>  > is it really sane to keep this information in getconfig? I could move
>  > it out into xorg.cfg if it's the Right Thing.
>  >

> getconfig.pl was a project done by David Dawes on XFree86. The pieces that
> were under the original (XFree86 1.0) license made it over into the X.Org
> tree.
> It is certainly not a good idea to maintain such a list in the program
> itself. I assume it was just ment to be a temporary solution. Such a list
> can be kept in a separate data file, however xorg.conf doesn't seem to
> be the right place as it is used as a custom configuration file. Even
> with automatic configuration around one must be able to create such a
> custom file and that one would then most likely overwrite this data.
> Any other file in /etc/X11 would be fine, I think.

I was actually referring to xorg.cfg. getconfig.pl looks in several
directories and concatenates all the *.cfg files it finds there to
build up it's initial set of rules. X.org currently installs a default
xorg.cfg (where I don't recall) which is at the moment empty.

>From what I remember about kudzu I think that Redhat has a database of
PCI IDs -> X drivers. The info in getconfig is pretty basic, I'll try
to pull out the Redhat database and combine it with the data in
getconfig - unless this information already exists somewhere? Is there
a record of what PCI IDs a driver works with?