[Xorg] Input device hotplug

Kristian Høgsberg krh at bitplanet.net
Thu Jul 1 05:43:40 PDT 2004

Jon Smirl wrote:
> --- Kristian Høgsberg <krh at bitplanet.net> wrote:
>
>>>While currently it is not possible to run multiple X servers on the
>>>same system (multi seat) it might well be in the future. In this
>>>case it must be made sure that only one of these servers connects

>>>the device and that after a replug the same server gets the device
>>>reassigned.
>>
>>Yeah, that's a good point.  The discovery mechanism should remember
>>which server to add the device to.
>

> This needs to be part of a bigger design, probably using udev. fbdev
> has the same problem and we don't want to build two parallel systems
> for assigning devices.
>
> One solution would be to tag device with a console id in udev.conf --
> console 0, 1, 2, etc and assign each xserver a console id too. The
> hotplug program could then match the device to the correct xserver.
> Instead of making up console ids you could use the dri device number.

Sure, if you have a machine with multiple physical terminals, you
probably already have configured groups of mouse+keyboard+video.  The X
server should respect that and only pick up the devices from that group.
    This only works if you have configured this ahead of time, if you
plug in a brand new device, what's the right thing to do?

Kristian