[Xorg] Input device hotplug

Kristian Høgsberg krh at bitplanet.net
Thu Jul 1 04:25:23 PDT 2004

Ely Levy wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Jun 2004, [UTF-8] Kristian Høgsberg wrote:
>

>>Ely Levy wrote:
>>
>>>Hey,
>>>just few points from when I looked ar xinput
>>>1)It would be nice to have user configurable options
>>>2)Mouse wheel should be mapped to zaxis and not buttons 4,5
>>
>>Well, it really should be a vertical wheel event, I think. Mapping it to
>>z-axis is also "wrong".
>

> You mean a special event for it?
> what's the diffrent between that and zaxis?
> or do you want to add zaxis and then be able to map it to diffrent events
> which one of them can be the vertical wheel?
> I think there are already mouse/joystick which support horizontal wheel
> btw I don't see the day where people would use joystick for x that far
> away:)

The z-axis is the third dimension, ie you would use it for the z
coordinates if you had a three dimensional pointer device.  If you want
to change wheel events away from button 4 and 5, I think it would make
sense to define new events for wheel up and wheel down.  If you look at
the Linux kernel input layer, it's how they do it.  They also have
events for horizontal wheels.  Some Microsoft mice and keyboards have
wheels that can tilt left/right to generate these events.

Kristian