[Xorg] next steps with the xorg tree

Kendall Bennett KendallB at scitechsoft.com
Wed Feb 18 12:04:44 PST 2004

"Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb at shiman.com> wrote:

> Kendall Bennett noted that {RCS,CVS}ID strings in the sources make
> it hard to import/merge changes into other people's trees. I
> certainly agree -- after 10+ years working with X Consortium,
> XFree86, and now Xorg trees doing imports and merges -- that it
> does indeed make for more work.
>
> So you have to tell me whether it's valuable or not to be able to
> look at a file, possibly from somewhere else, and be able to tell
> at a glance what its provenance is.

As I mentioned before, that is the realm of good source control systems.
I don't use CVS extensively so I don't know it works for CVS, but with
Perforce I can just do a 'p4 filelog' on any file and it will give me all
the history of that file, the change log comments and changelist numbers.
With the changelist numbers I can find out what other files were checked
in at the same time for that change as well.

You can also do a 'p4 annotate' to get an annotated version of the file
that contains information about exactly which *line* of code was changed,
how it was changed and what change # the line of code was changed in.

With those kinds of features around RCS ID strings are a total waste of
bandwidth (IMHO).

If CVS doesn't have these abilities, maybe we should consider using a
better tool for the job, like Perforce ;-)

Regards,

---
Kendall Bennett
Chief Executive Officer
SciTech Software, Inc.
Phone: (530) 894 8400
http://www.scitechsoft.com

~ SciTech SNAP - The future of device driver technology! ~