[Xorg] next steps with the xorg tree

Kaleb S. KEITHLEY kaleb at shiman.com
Wed Feb 18 08:24:25 PST 2004

Roland Mainz wrote:
> "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" wrote:
>
>>1. Some of you may have noticed the use of the $XdotOrg RCSID tag.
>>Please add one to any files you edit.
>

> Just curious:
> Why ? :)

Er, well, with the smiley I'm confused -- is this a serious question?

Kendall Bennett noted that {RCS,CVS}ID strings in the sources make it
hard to import/merge changes into other people's trees. I certainly
agree -- after 10+ years working with X Consortium, XFree86, and now
Xorg trees doing imports and merges -- that it does indeed make for more
work.

So you have to tell me whether it's valuable or not to be able to look
at a file, possibly from somewhere else, and be able to tell at a glance
what its provenance is.

--

Kaleb