libdrm issues blocking accelerated indirect GL

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at gmail.com
Thu Dec 30 18:44:27 PST 2004

I've been out of the DRI loop for a while since all I do is help feed
and change two crying babies, but we also need think about the GL
standalone case. libdrm is linked into the dri.so's so that they can
be used standalone. Wouldn't another solution be to just fix the
DRI.so's to not export the libdrm symbols? If we proceed down the X on
GL path this problem would go away since X would stop using libdrm.

Since I haven't looked at the code in a month, can someone remind me
why X needs to directly access libdrm and not use a DRI interface? For
example the whole drmOpen sequence of where X searches for and loads
DRM drivers would just go away if we let the OS automatically load the
drivers based on PCI IDs. The current Linux DRM driver supports this.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at gmail.com