[Xorg] Question about the Xorg config file

Deron Johnson Deron.Johnson at Sun.COM
Wed Aug 25 17:29:09 PDT 2004

I am currently working on a release of Project Looking Glass which
contains a modified server based on X.org X11R6.8.  Previously,
the PLG users were using the X.org release prior to the renaming,
so the server config file these people are currently using is
named /etc/X11/XF86Config. I'm trying to figure out what to tell
these people about the config file when they start using 6.8.

To this end, I have some questions about the server config file.

1. If X.org X11R6.8 does not find a file named /etc/X11/xorg.conf, is it
    supposed to try to find /etc/X11/XF86Config? It appears to behave
    this way on my SUSE 8.1 machine.

2. What recommendations should I provide to my users on how to upgrade
    their XF86Config file to become xorg.conf?  Should they start with
    a fresh xorg.conf file generated via Xorg -configure and then apply
    their mods (such as graphics devices) to it?  Or should they just
    rename the XF86Config file to become xorg.conf? I tried the latter
    and it complained that Driver "Keyboard" should be changed to
    Driver "Kbd". Are there any other gotchas like this?

In general, is there any written documentation which discusses
config file upgrade issues?

Thank you for your assistance,

	-Deron Johnson
	Project Looking Glass