[Xorg] Get rid of checkerboard

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Mon Aug 2 16:19:12 PDT 2004

On Llu, 2004-08-02 at 23:17, Kristian Høgsberg wrote:
> But the checkerboard pattern isn't shown for long, then the desktop
> environment kicks in and sets the background.  So it's only an iusse if
> the user starts the X server without setting the background.

By the time the desktop appears the setups I've looked at have already
mis-synced with black as background. I'm not unique in this either,
there are a couple of hate mails in the Red Hat bugzilla about it

> If there's a problem with the server, the user could be instructed to
> run the server with the pattern enables, much like enabling debug output.

You seriously overestimate the average user. Try "hey my desktop is
wonky, this software sucks".